Adult Education Services - ESOL Instructor
Position Closing Date: 3/24/2023
NOTE: This position is funded by multiple grants to the Cuyahoga County Public Library. The Library has a strong track record in securing grants and grant renewals but CCPL cannot guarantee permanent funding. If funding were to cease, the Library would explore other job opportunities but cannot ensure employment after grant expiration.
Under limited supervision, implements Adult Education Services curriculum that provides the integration of an individual student's needs and the academic knowledge needed to successfully pass the High School Equivalency test improve basic skills, improve English skills, enter post-secondary education, and/or obtain/retain employment.
- Skill in implementing lesson plans using sound instructional practices, teaching and evaluating students ensuring student learning and progress, and providing guidance to students that promotes proper educational development.
- Knowledge of adult education best practices.
- Ability to integrate technology in classroom instruction.
- Skill in providing effective, courteous and appropriate working relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors, and/or representatives of other agencies.
- Ability to demonstrate proficient use of personal computer software or systems applicable to the essential functions of the job, which may include (but not be limited to) email/calendar software, internet/intranet browsers, word processing, spreadsheets, database software, downloadable devices, and various systems or software used by CCPL.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide comprehensive customer service, including delivery of accurate, prompt, and courteous assistance, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand the difference between confidential and sensitive information and to handle each appropriately.
- Ability to implement contextualized curriculum used in adult education.
- Ability to apply advanced organizational, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Skill in reviewing work for correctness, completeness and accuracy.
- Ability to demonstrate proficient use of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and simple mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Complies with Cuyahoga County Public Library's policies, rules, guidelines, procedures, requirements, standards, and practices applicable to the job, including (but not limited to) work scheduling and attendance, customer service, use of Library property, computer use, personal conduct, and confidentiality.
- Maintains an excellent Adult Education Services program by implementing all policies, guidelines, and standards as stated in the National Reporting System (NRS), Ohio Department of Higher Education eGuide, and Indicators of Program Quality (IPQs).
- Assist with the implementation of the Adult Education Services Program's orientation and registration sessions in accordance with the Ohio Department of Higher Education eGuide Guidelines.
- Administer and interpret results of all ESOL and ABE/ASE assessments in accordance with the NRS and Ohio Department of Higher Education Guidelines.
- Develops, plans, implements adult education curriculum, including employability skills, Distance Education and career pathways.
- Provides direct adult education services to students such as class instruction, orientation and assessment testing. Maintain student portfolios in accordance with the NRS and Ohio Department of Higher Education ABLE Portfolio System and eGuide guidelines.
- Implement LD Plan and procedures.
- Implement Advocacy Plan and procedures.
- Maintains cooperative relationships with assigned local community organizations, institutions and government agencies
- Attend ongoing professional development as required by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
- Bachelor's degree in Education preferred with coursework in Adult Education.
OTHER TESTING/LICENSES REQUIRED
- License: A valid driver's license, reliable personal transportation and in-force automobile insurance required.
- A criminal background check is required, as are pre-employment drug and nicotine screens.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Occasional stooping or bending. Occasional light to moderately heavy lifting, up to 30 lbs., may be required.
- No major sources of working conditions discomfort, i.e. standard work environment with possible minor inconveniences due to occasional noise, crowded working conditions, and/or minor heating, cooling or ventilation problems.