Support providers in the examination and treatment of patients, including the preparation of exam rooms and instrumentation, operation of medical equipment, administer medications and injections, etc. related to patient care requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish reason for visit and document patient description of chief complaint. Document all EPIC visit encounter fields and smartphrases.
- Participate in quality improvement and workflow enhancements that support patient care.
- Take and document pertinent vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, respirations, height, weight, BMI and pain level.
- Assure all required blood work and back office diagnostic labs are completed and documented in the EMR before provider exam room visit.
- Assure provision of all instruments, order labs and vaccines and document for physicals and well child visits.
- Follow-up on provider post exam requests; dress wounds, perform ear irrigations, recheck blood pressure etc.
- Administer medications/immunizations, evaluate effectiveness. Assure patient is informed about possible effects.
- Maintain patient flow for providers, filling rooms per designated quota.
- Maintain quality controls measures daily.
- Clean and stock rooms per established requirements; clean autoclave and sterile instruments.
- Order supplies, immunizations and provide assistance as directed or needed.
- Serve as a member of a Patient Centered Medical Home team.
Specific knowledge, training or skills required to perform the duties of this position. Specific concepts, courses, training programs or required certifications:
- Demonstrated completion of medical assistant training program.
- Knowledge of injection levels and procedures (children and adults).
- Knowledge of universal precautions and blood borne pathogens and OSHA guidelines.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency utilizing electronic medical records.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills: empathy, trust, respect and ability to establish effective relationships with people of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated team membership skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail: high requirement for accuracy.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to see, communicate, hear and utilize electronic communication devices.
- Demonstrated ability to walk, sit or stand for long periods of time. Requires some lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Work environment is stressful at times.